Decals & More

Color Chart

2014 Small Flock
Poultry & Backyard
Guinea Fowl Conference

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook GFIA Homepage

When do you start to help a hatching keet? (Incubation & Brooding)

by BennieAnTheJets @, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 05:09 (109 days ago)

Curious about your take on this.

What makes you decide that a keet is in trouble and may benefit from help?

When would you back off for fear of hurting something?

--
Bennie

When do you start to help a hatching keet?

by Cheri @, Sunday, May 04, 2014, 08:35 (108 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

We just hatched a dozen ducklings. One of them had pipped and then nothing for hours. Then a little bit more and he eventually made the crack about 1/4 way around. In the meantime, a duckling hatched that hadn't even pipped before the first duckling got this far. So, after the first duckling made it halfway around, I started helping. I broke off tiny pieces of shell without hurting the membrane. This seemed to encourage the duckling and we worked as a team until he was out. That was a week ago and he is fine. I haven't done this for keets but I think it would be the same.

by ZoeTX, Monday, May 05, 2014, 00:49 (108 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

I help when it is pretty obvious that the keet is going to die without assistance. If the membrane is drying out and the keet is shrink wrapped, I spray with warm water and help tear the membrane. I try to let the keet finish getting out after I've made it where he can just by pushing his legs against the shell. Good luck!

by JulieOK, Tuesday, May 06, 2014, 13:58 (106 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

I have helped a bunch of mine, as long as you can keep from tearing the membrane at first. Just keep in mind if your local humidity is as low as mine, as soon as you open the incubator to help one, you will probably have to help the rest of them too!

I have had a lot of success with helping, and I will probably always help when I have doubts. Good luck!

Thank you'all !!!

by BennieAnTheJets @, Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 10:33 (99 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

- No text -

--
Bennie

RSS Feed of thread