Decals & More

Color Chart

GFIA
Conferences

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook GFIA Homepage

laying & molting (General Discussion)

by service1010, Sunday, September 22, 2013, 18:27 (396 days ago)

I live in SE AZ where it's about 85 degrees during the day.

When I clean the coop, I notice that my guineas are molting. But, they are still laying an egg a day.

I thought that at the onset of molting they stopped laying. I am just counting down the days when I can stop worrying about them going broody...

When do they usually stop? Is it a function of daylight? weather?

One other question.

I am still (barely) hoping that my broody hen returns to the fold.

What has been the longest that your hen has stayed away from the flock? I do not see her come in for food/water, but it's been very rainy with lots of grasshoppers and caterpillars in the grasses.

Thanks

My males would always start to molt before my females

by BarbaraNH @, New Hampshire, USA, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 00:24 (394 days ago) @ service1010

The hens would continue to lay eggs for a little while after I started to see feathers in the coop. I don't remember exactly how long they continued to lay, but I think it might have been for a couple of weeks. I believe the end of breeding and laying season has more to do with shorter daylight hours than anything else.

by service1010, Tuesday, September 24, 2013, 09:37 (394 days ago) @ BarbaraNH

Thanks.

by richlife ⌂ @, Central NC, Friday, September 27, 2013, 11:25 (391 days ago) @ BarbaraNH

Whoa! More new stuff! :<)

I've started to see a number of feathers in and around the coop. Just thought it was a few lost feathers. Does this mean they are molting? And what do I expect about molting -- will they shed their entire feather coat before winter, or is it just the loss of a few feathers like I've seen?

Thanks, Rich

It will look like they MUST be losing all of their feathers

by BarbaraNH @, New Hampshire, USA, Friday, September 27, 2013, 12:34 (391 days ago) @ richlife

That's because of the abundance of feathers you will find in the coop, but... I'm not sure that they do. The loss of feathers has always been so gradual with my guineas that I don't know if all of the feathers are replaced or just some of them. They will look a little scraggly for a period of time, but they shouldn't look "bald" or even "patchy bald" at any given point in time.

Good question for us "newbies". Thanks for Q/A on this.

by CrazyBirds @, Eastern NC, USA, Friday, September 27, 2013, 13:12 (391 days ago) @ BarbaraNH

- No text -

by ExcavateWy, Friday, September 27, 2013, 13:29 (391 days ago) @ CrazyBirds

Young guineas will get their final adult feathers at around 5 months old and they probably won't molt again until around 18 months old late in their 2nd summer or fall.
From what I've seen with mine, you may not even realize they are molting. You just find a few more feathers than normal and they start looking shinier and more
colorful as the new feathers grow in.:-)

by richlife ⌂ @, Central NC, Friday, September 27, 2013, 13:38 (391 days ago) @ ExcavateWy

Ok, thanks Excavate. That really is interesting -- the whole bit about "shiny".

So I just realized that I've been reading your userid as "Evacuate". I do have to say I like "Excavate" more. :<) So are you involved with geology or mining or something?

Rich

LOL - wondering why they had to Evacuate Wyoming? =)

by JulieOK, Friday, September 27, 2013, 16:32 (391 days ago) @ richlife

Thanks for the chuckle!

Excavating for 42 years!

by ExcavateWy, Friday, September 27, 2013, 20:00 (391 days ago) @ richlife
edited by ExcavateWy, Friday, September 27, 2013, 21:26

Anything you can do with a backhoe and dozer. But I'd much rather be raising my chickens and guineas.}-D
Doubt that I'll evacuate Wyoming unless Yellowstone blows!8-o But thanks for the chuckle.

molting

by service1010, Friday, September 27, 2013, 21:43 (390 days ago) @ ExcavateWy

Just to add my 2 cents. At 1 1/2 years old, my guineas have molted twice. And they molt a lot of feathers. They have not been bald in any place, but I find large and small feathers all in the coop.

Excavating for 42 years!

by richlife ⌂ @, Central NC, Friday, September 27, 2013, 23:57 (390 days ago) @ ExcavateWy

AH! The Great Yellowstone Blowup!

At least the guineas can fly -- or hot foot it out!

Rich

laying & molting

by syedshah20, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 03:00 (19 days ago) @ service1010

I thought that at the onset of molting they stopped laying. I am just counting down the days when I can stop worrying about them going broody...

--
sultan

laying & molting

by CrazyBirds @, Eastern NC, USA, Saturday, October 04, 2014, 09:33 (19 days ago) @ syedshah20

Mine have been molting about a week. Pen full of feathers for me to clean today!
They stopped laying at the same time they started molting. Good Guineas :-)

laying & molting

by service1010, Sunday, October 05, 2014, 08:50 (18 days ago) @ CrazyBirds

good guineas!

I can't believe it. A hen starting sitting on a nest yesterday.

The huge nest is right in my yard! Only tall grass around it. I walk by every day and never noticed it..... smart guineas.... (dumb me)

RSS Feed of thread