Decals & More

Color Chart

2014 Small Flock
Poultry & Backyard
Guinea Fowl Conference

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook GFIA Homepage

Guineas Too Loud Help! (General Discussion)

by Hope Light, Monday, September 16, 2013, 21:25 (372 days ago)

Hi everyone,

We love our guineas, and are on the verge of losing them because the neighbors are complaining. We've gotten several fines, which get higher each time. We are told the neighbors are going to report us next to the Board of Supervisors. We've tried to get our 6 acres zoned as agriculture, but no go on that one from the County.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the guineas from being loud or how to tone their calls down any? They are about 1-and-a-half years old. We have 15 of them and have raised them from little keets. They are so charming!

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions anyone has.

God Bless,
Hope
:hc:

Guineas Too Loud Help!

by CrazyBirds @, Eastern NC, USA, Monday, September 16, 2013, 21:32 (372 days ago) @ Hope Light

Can you move their pen/run as far away from the neighbors as possible so they can't hear them and it not bother them? May not be able to free range much. ???? Sorry no ideas that can help.

keep only males?

by CrazyBirds @, Eastern NC, USA, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 08:02 (371 days ago) @ CrazyBirds

A lady said she keeps only males for this very reason. Don't know if that's an option for you?

keep only males?

by richlife ⌂ @, Central NC, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 13:30 (371 days ago) @ CrazyBirds

So males are quieter? (I'm carefully avoiding any "obvious" comments that might get me in trouble.) That might address one of my concerns if noise ever became an issue.

Rich

keep only males?

by ExcavateWy, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 16:56 (371 days ago) @ richlife

I've read that quite a few people keep only the males for noise reasons. And I've noticed it in my own flock. The males will sound an alarm if they see something unusual. But it's the females that talk all the time!}-D

keep only males?

by Hope Light, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 19:33 (371 days ago) @ ExcavateWy

Thank you! I'm cracking up over the female/male thing and may be able to try it.
Hope Light

to avoid Guinea-heart-ache....

by BennieAnTheJets @, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 10:36 (370 days ago) @ Hope Light

you may want to start over with a new set of keets and keep only the males if that's what you decide to do, and sell your flock as a whole, together

there may be attachments and life-long bonds in your group between the girls and boys already at 1 1/2 years old and it may break your heart to see the boys cry for their mates if you sell all the females of that flock :-{

I travelled 3 hours one way to get a bird back once, and sometimes the new owners are not as nice to be willing ot return a bird that was sold - just saying ;-)

--
Bennie

by Hope Light, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:40 (370 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

Dear Bennie,

Thank you for your very kind suggestions. You seem like a very lovely person.

Our guineas are quiet at night in their coop, but the issue is during the daytime hours. We have the red light as you do.

I do think something is troubling them as they have been excessively loud lately, and we've found some blood where the picking on some from the others has started. So I will investigate that angle some more.

We have talked to the neighbors. The one turning us in keeps slamming the door in our face, so that's not working out so well, but I love your idea of doing some sort of trade with the other 2 neighbors who are complaining.

I am thinking the solution is to trade the females for males with someone in our area because if we don't take drastic measures, we'll have to get rid of them all anyhow.

Thanks again, Bennie,
Hope Light

by BennieAnTheJets @, Thursday, September 19, 2013, 12:29 (369 days ago) @ Hope Light

understand - it can be tough and every situation is different

about the bonding - if you want to know, it may work to keep one Guinea in a cage for 24 hours - if there is a mate, the mate may hang around - this is how I first found out how attached they are - had a male in a hospital cage once and the hen stayed with him the whole time, also had a hen in a hospital cage once and her male hung around and would not leave

Zoe sold adults once and she said she'd never do it again, from what I remember, because of the grief it caused one remaining single who lost his mate

Carl said one Guinea never got over a mate that died for live, I think

not sure if they all are that way - Guineas are so different in personalities - but just to share info and give you a heads-up before you make the final decision

too bad that that one neighbor is so rude - wonder if you have any legal rights to keep the birds if they only make noise during daytime hours (that seems reasonable: you can't forbid people to make noise during the day either) but I guess you tried that with your attempt to get ag zoning

one more idea: could you keep them in a coop/run enclosure for a while day and night, and keep them quieter that way, at least away from the bad neighbor? then only let them out for a few hours and then maybe longer again, if the noise problem dies down a bit and the neighbors cools off in his anger a bit??

whatever you decide - best of luck!

I feel for you - I was afraid our Guineas would raid the neighbor's prized garden, but we have been very lucky, they do not go there and stay on our side - so grateful for that!

--
Bennie

keep only males?

by Hope Light, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 19:34 (371 days ago) @ richlife

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

keep only males?

by richlife ⌂ @, Central NC, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 23:56 (371 days ago) @ Hope Light

You are too kind. :-) Did I say "obvious"?

Rich

keep only males?

by Hope Light, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 19:32 (371 days ago) @ CrazyBirds

This may be a good, workable idea for me. thanks so much.
Regards,
Hope Light

A guinea muffler

by jackiekennedy ⌂ @, Mabank, TX, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 21:14 (371 days ago) @ Hope Light

A fellow down in South Texas told me of a guinea muffler, he did not make it but said he knew someone that did. I didn't ask any questions, he has put me in a trick bag before.

A guinea muffler

by Hope Light, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 21:45 (371 days ago) @ jackiekennedy

Well, Jackie, since I'm from the South, I totally understand your reluctance to pursue the matter with him.

:-)

by richlife ⌂ @, Central NC, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 23:58 (371 days ago) @ jackiekennedy

- No text -

Guineas Too Loud Help!

by BennieAnTheJets @, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 22:03 (371 days ago) @ Hope Light

Hi Hope Light,

Have you tried to confine them in a coop from, say 5 pm to 8 am at least, and have the lights out at night?

We use a coop/run enclosure and a red 25 Watt party bulb for a night light - I heard that white light keeps them awake (and talking). They are quiet at night at our place and that is all our neighbors asked about.

Sorry this is happening to you.

Ours do quiet down when they are confined and are used to their routine of going out and coming back certain times - the young (less than a year old) females do make the buck-wheat sound a lot, even in their nursery, but even they do not do it at night.

The boys do not make the buck-wheat sound, which can annoy people because it can be loud and they often repeat it more than humans can stand, but they will call when they are outside and see anything unusual, especially a bird overhead. I think people sometimes keep batchelor flocks since they do not buck-wheat, but the male alarm call is very loud, if not as frequent - so I would consider that before letting go of all your hens. :-(

Two ideas (may not help):

1) Are your Guineas troubled by something? I am asking since I noticed that the females seem to buck-wheat to keep the flock calm in times of stress - could this be a factor for your flock? If so, you may be able to change what is bugging them and have them quiet down some.

2) I am sure you tried this, but is there a way to talk to the neighbors if you explain that you love your birds and are really trying to listen to what your neighbors say, and you are still looking for solutions. Maybe there is something you could do for them that would be a good trade for them tolerating your Guineas - if you have a lot of land, maybe they would like to use some of it for a garden or get some firewood off your land or store their boat there, or whatever may help them.

Good luck with your flock! Hope it works out for you and all concerned!

--
Bennie

Guineas Too Loud Help!

by richlife ⌂ @, Central NC, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 00:02 (371 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

Whether it works or not, Bennie, you sound like a great arbiter.

Rich

Guineas Too Loud Help!

by buckwheatkeet, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 01:40 (371 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

If you are on speaking terms with your neighbors you could explain how beneficial guineas are in removing the tick population, thus eradicating lyme disease and other tick borne illnesses. Maybe you could offer fresh eggs to smooth them over?

Each case is different, but my guineas quieted down ALOT once they matured.

I hope you can keep your guineas. They are such personable and funny birds. So easy to get attached to. Good luck!

Guineas Too Loud Help!

by BetsyOK @, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 12:09 (370 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

I like Carl's term for the hen that "talks" all the time. He says she is the "locator" who keeps the flock aware of where everyone is; or at least where she is.

Guineas Too Loud Help!

by Hope Light, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:48 (370 days ago) @ BetsyOK

They are very organized in many ways, including that locator position. I guess we are like everyone else (except some of the neighbors), the longer we have them, the more we love them. The one who takes the longest to come into the pen we've named Patience. Unfortunately, now we've named another one "Supreme Patience" because he has decided to tarry outside the pen even longer than Patience.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for all the good ideas.
Hope Light

Guineas Too Loud Help!

by Hope Light, Wednesday, September 18, 2013, 14:44 (370 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

Hey Buckwheatkeet,

We did explain all of the benefits; actually someone got Lyme disease, which is why we got the guineas in the first place. Most of the neighbors are fine with them, but some just are not happy. That trade for something is a good idea.
Thank you,
Hope Light

RSS Feed of thread