Decals & More

Color Chart

2014 Small Flock
Poultry & Backyard
Guinea Fowl Conference

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook GFIA Homepage

Adding birds to flock (General Discussion)

by Grousebend, Friday, September 13, 2013, 14:42 (368 days ago)

I have 6 approx. 3 month old Lavenders. I want to get a few more birds. The ones I am buying are approx. the same age as the ones I have. Can I just automatically add them to the flock? I have a pen for them but they free roam most of the time.

Adding birds to flock

by jackiekennedy ⌂ @, Mabank, TX, Friday, September 13, 2013, 16:58 (368 days ago) @ Grousebend

I've personally never had any trouble adding new keets to others at that young of an age. I normally do it at night and it works out fine, now adults can be and usually is a different story. I'd leave em penned a few days and let them know where home is.

Adding birds to flock

by CarlNC @, Raleigh NC, Friday, September 13, 2013, 18:56 (368 days ago) @ jackiekennedy

I like to pen them together for at least 2 weeks with wire separating them until they know each other better Continue to let the established flock in and out and the newer birds hopefully see and fall into the same routine.i would not mix them out of the coop.

Adding birds to flock

by Cheri @, Saturday, September 14, 2013, 09:45 (367 days ago) @ CarlNC

We added 4 adult guineas to our existing pair by just putting them all in together. Don't think I would do it that way again. Even though we got all 6 from the same guy and they had been together before, our male chased the new males and really cornered one of them and pecked at him. It was a rough couple of weeks.

RSS Feed of thread