Order Guinea
Decals & More

Color Chart

Guinea Fowl Conferences

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook GFIA Homepage

Wattles (Behavior & Training)

by buckwheatkeet, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 00:12 (412 days ago)

I have seen my guineas when "getting ready for bed" (when they just start to roost on their perch) reach over and gently tug at the wattles of another guinea. The recipient of the tug lifts their head, closes their eyes, and opens their mouth partway..... It looks comical and it seems like a loving gesture. Its all of them that do it, not just certain ones. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed it in their flock?

I believe this is a grooming ritual

by BarbaraNH @, New Hampshire, USA, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 01:37 (412 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

My guineas did this all the time when they were calm and relaxed. I don't remember seeing them tug at the wattles of another guinea, but they did peck at the other guinea's neck. The "groomee" would open its beak, stretch out its neck, and breathe with a "pant" that would cause its throat to pulse. It would hold this position apparently waiting for the "groomer" to peck away at its neck area. I imagine the groomer would remove little bugs or particles it would find there.

Very endearing behavior, I'd say. It always amazed me that even the "bad guys" would groom each other. It wasn't just a mated pair kind of behavior.

Mine do it also, they are only 6 weeks old

by CrazyBirds @, Eastern NC, USA, Saturday, June 15, 2013, 08:49 (412 days ago) @ BarbaraNH

Just as you described. They are so funny!

RSS Feed of thread