Decals & More

Color Chart

GFIA
Conferences

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook GFIA Homepage

wild guineas (General Discussion)

by Jane @, Johannesburg, South Africa, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 18:36 (704 days ago)
edited by Jane, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 18:43

I have just returned from a trip to Cape Town where a friend of mine lives on the edge of a nature conservancy. A lot of wild guineas pass through his property and he feeds them, but they are wild. He has no idea where they sleep, lay their eggs and so on. But they pitch up regularly for feeding (two separate flocks) and in the last two days, with 15 sweet keets. I took a couple of (bad) photos because I had forgotten how very bright the blue of their heads is (as opposed to the sort of silver bluish grey of the domesticated ones like I have). But what I hadn't realised is that their wattles are blue too, with just the tips red. My birds' wattles are all red or red with bits of white. Does anyone on the site have blue wattles?

Carl, I battle to upload to my computer as I never seem to have the software loaded, except the upload to FB button on my phone. If I upload them to an album called 'wild Guineas' on my FB page, would you be able to move any decent ones to this site? Horton's wife is quite a sh*** hot photographer so I have asked her to mail me some of her much better photos and will try and upload them somehow.

Jane

I would like to see them

by CarlNC @, Raleigh NC, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 19:53 (704 days ago) @ Jane

:-) going to look

IMG: Is this it?

by CarlNC @, Raleigh NC, Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 20:00 (704 days ago) @ CarlNC

Photo credit to Arno & Louise Wildlife's photostream
Link below
[image]
Photo credit to PHOTO CREDIT

WOW great shot!! I have a few guineas with that blue in their necks.

by ZoeTX, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 00:21 (703 days ago) @ CarlNC

- No text -

What a portrait! Strange looking wattles. No Blue necks in our Guineas (yet).

by BennieAnTheJets @, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 03:52 (703 days ago) @ CarlNC

- No text -

--
Bennie

Different sub species?

by TeryMI, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 07:23 (703 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

- No text -

I would like to see them

by Jane @, Johannesburg, South Africa, Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 15:25 (703 days ago) @ CarlNC

Ag dammit really. Now my phone wont upload to FB. Album is empty. How can that be. AARRGGHHHH. But ja Carl, that photo you posted is pretty close. These are even bluer if that is possible. No I dont think a subspecies.

Possibly the coronatus subspecies

by BarbaraNH @, New Hampshire, USA, Thursday, November 22, 2012, 01:26 (702 days ago) @ Jane

Although there is some debate as to whether the differences should be classified as subspecies or just geographical variations in appearance. Numida meleagris coronatus is found mainly in East South Africa and has a bright blue face.

subspecies

by Birdman, Thursday, November 22, 2012, 12:36 (702 days ago) @ BarbaraNH

I have seen a geographical variation in appearance of quail in Washington State which are amazingly different from the Mountain or Gambels or California Quail seen all over the western USA. These are a darker grey bird....very pretty too but not so near as flashy as those found on our property. They are all over the northern Olympic Peninsula around Port Angeles. Seeing them was sheer delight.

Possibly the coronatus subspecies

by Jane @, Johannesburg, South Africa, Thursday, November 22, 2012, 14:49 (702 days ago) @ BarbaraNH

Oh Heavens. Yes maybe you're right. The more I read the more I realise how incredibly little I know. Cant understand why my phone wont upload...

IMG: wild SA Guineas

by Jane @, Johannesburg, South Africa, Sunday, December 02, 2012, 14:27 (692 days ago) @ Jane

At last. I am back from further travels, in Namibia (where we heard the wild Guineas calling just beyond our guesthouse every evening) and can now finally upload these photos. I took dozens but cant get them off my phone to the site. So Christine kindly emailed me a few of hers and I am going to upload them. To recap: these are wild guineas which just make a pass once or twice a day throught the gardens in this area in Cape Town (adjacent to a nature reserve) where they are regularly fed. The keets were a few days old in the photos. We are just starting our hatching season. In fact, my first lot hatched while I was in Cape Town observing this little lot - two weeks ago. Note the very blue heads and very black legs. And the keet in the last photo is not ill: he was just having a doze!
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

GREAT pictures Jane

by Figment @, CO, Sunday, December 02, 2012, 20:13 (692 days ago) @ Jane

Thanks for posting them.... what beautiful birds! Miss seeing them in the wild...

wild SA Guineas

by hhounds @, Woodbine, Md, Sunday, December 02, 2012, 22:24 (692 days ago) @ Jane

I know people who went to Africa and brought back Basenjis to expand the gene pool of the pure breed dogs. Wouldn't it be great to add wild genes to our flocks if exporting/importing wasn't so hard.
Maybe we could get some more head coloring and different waddles.

Great pictures, thanks for posting

by ZoeTX, Monday, December 03, 2012, 09:46 (691 days ago) @ Jane

- No text -

RSS Feed of thread