Order Guinea
Decals & More

Color Chart

GFIA
Conferences

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook GFIA Homepage

Parasites and De-worming and such... (Diseases & Injuries)

by BennieAnTheJets @, Tuesday, October 23, 2012, 01:47 (731 days ago)

So tell me, what do we need to know? :-D

We are new to this and our keets are about 3 months old and being weaned off the treated starter feed to a "flight developer crumble" that is not medicated. I know this is not for worms anyway, but the only med thing we do currently.

We heard that free ranging Guineas get worms and parasites since they eat so many bugs.

How do you treat yours, with what, and how often, to keep them healthy? What are all the health/maintenance medications you give them over the course of a year? Do they need any meds or are they fine without any?

Do you eat the eggs when you treat them with "stuff"?

Please let me know. Appreciate your time to share your expertise!

--
Bennie

Parasites and De-worming and such...

by CarlNC @, Raleigh NC, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 09:17 (730 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

I have always treated my flock for worms and parasites. Here it's either do that or lose them. I am currently using Valbazen from First State Vet Supply My avian vet said it's ok worm and eat the eggs, however I still don't do it. (or hatch them) I always wait 2 weeks before incubating or eating the eggs after worming. I try and worm in the fall after laying season, and early spring at least a month before they start laying. Hope this helps. I prefer Valbazen and have it on hand because it's the only thing that will bring them back once the worms or parasites get a foot hold in the bird. It also takes care of everything. I have heard of flockers using Wazine or something specifically for roundworm first, and then Valbazen (albendnazole, fenbendnazole, the "nazole" family of wormers) a week or two later so the bird is not shocked or overwhelmed getting rid of everything at once. I also like Bigdog's chart from one of our past newsletters, page three Click here for Spring Worming help from Bigdog

At the time I used Fenbendnazole, a precursor to Valbazen and found it's administration much more difficult and less effective than Valbazen.

De-worming and such...

by hhounds @, Woodbine, Md, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 09:53 (730 days ago) @ CarlNC

Carl== What do you do with the eggs you don't eat or incubate after worming.

Hardboil the medicated eggs

by CarlNC @, Raleigh NC, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 22:30 (729 days ago) @ hhounds

crush with shells, mix in veggies, sprouts, cayenne and red pepper, garlic, feed back to flock!!

by TeryMI, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, 21:15 (729 days ago) @ CarlNC

I use safeguard for goats (liquid) at 3cc/gallon of water for 3 days, wait 2 weeks and do it again, then 10 days later I use ivermectin pour on . Once or twice a year.

by Jane @, Johannesburg, South Africa, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 20:26 (729 days ago) @ CarlNC

Carl does this go in the drinking water or what?

by CarlNC @, Raleigh NC, Saturday, October 27, 2012, 17:54 (727 days ago) @ Jane

For the medicated egg mash, just scoop it and place in feeders, I cant make enough if it, they eat it right up

by Kimee, Thursday, June 27, 2013, 14:29 (484 days ago) @ CarlNC

Just a quick thank you. The dewormer suggestions and website link to get it was very helpful!

Happy to know

by BarbaraNH @, New Hampshire, USA, Friday, June 28, 2013, 15:00 (483 days ago) @ Kimee

Thank you for letting us know that you found good information here. It's always nice to feel appreciated. Welcome to our forum!

Thanks a bunch!

by BennieAnTheJets @, Thursday, October 25, 2012, 02:28 (729 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

- No text -

--
Bennie

RSS Feed of thread